April is the perfect time of year to pick young and tender nettles are they are beginning to grow. Nettles are full of nutrition and have many health benefits. If you would like to find out just how good for you Nettles are I wrote about it here.
This post also covers all my tips for foraging and picking your own nettles. Including blanching nettles with boiling water for 1-2 minutes to remove their sting!
One of the easiest things to make with nettles is a simple soup this one has just 7 ingredients, and if you don’t have nettles it works just as well with baby spinach, watercress, or other leafy greens too.
Wash the nettle leaves thoroughly and use as you would spinach leaves in cooking.
Original recipe from nivanacakery.
Simple Nettle Soup
- 1 onion, chopped (optional)
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1l vegetable stock/broth/water (4 cups)
- 100g nettle tops (4 cups of leaves)
- fresh chives to garnish
- In a large pot heat 1tbsp of olive oil, add chopped onion, garlic, celery and leek and leave to cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- After 5 minutes add potatoes and your choice of liquid. Bring to a boil and leave to simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Carefully pick nettle leaves from the stems and wash thoroughly. It’s best to use gloves to do that. Once potatoes are soft add nettles to the pot and boil for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat and carefully blend until smooth.
- Serve garnished with freshly chopped chives.